Wednesday, May 23, 2007

eternal friends

A friend of mine from college is getting married...in Brooklyn, NY. The wedding is in December, and I'm really hoping I can go, although I think the chances of me boarding on an airplane alone all the way to the US is pretty..well none actually. Coz I think hubby wouldn't really find the idea of me leaving the kids behind is such a great one. What about him going as well? Hmm...he wouldn't wanna go JUST to attend a wedding...hmm..oh well, we'll see how my luck turns at the end of the year..

The reason why I really wanna go to this particular friend's wedding is because she is one of the better friends I made in the US. She is in fact, the first person I made friends with at the University, living just next door to me at the Stockwell Hall - the only all-girl dormitory at the U of M. Well, anyway, her name is Angela, and she is a Filipino American. She's one of those people I can instantly connect with (I've met a few people who share this instant connection with me).

When I first knew her, she used to have a boyfriend, but her boyfriend at that time was all the way at SUNY Buffalo, NY, while she was in Michigan. Once in a while her boyfriend would drop by and then I would never see her for a couple of days.

I genuinely enjoy Angela's company. We would hang out in each other's room (most of the time in my room coz her room tends to be messy all the time! hehe) when don't have classes and both of us enjoy food very much. So I would cook something really really simple like rice and she would open up a can of sardine or mackerel in black bean sauce and eat to our hearts' content. Sometimes she would open up a can of SPAM, and at that point, I wasn't sure if I should have it or not, but it sure looked delicious when you're hungry! but of course, i didn't have that SPAM as I was not that clueless ok.

The thing about her is that I just love her simplicity. Her friendship..her personality...her moods..She can even lick a plate of rice with just drizzles of kicap clean with nothing else. I also remember that she has nice handwriting. There was one time we got bored with our own rooms that we decided to swap rooms for the night....My freshmen year was fun because of her friendship, among other things.

And then during our sophomore year we decided to become roomies but not for long as I had to move to the other part of the campus to be closer to my classes whereas her classes were near the central campus. In the end, I moved to the North campus..and a few months later she followed suit..Our friendship still remains even though we didn't really see much of each other. One interesting thing though..my hubby (who was then NOT yet my boyfriend) even had a tiny little crush on Angela and I used to tease her about it..and when he became MY boyfriend she was teasing me back. hahah..

Anyway, Angela decided to move back home to be closer to her mom in NY in her junior year. So we didn't get to celebrate our graduation together. She graduated from Cornell and I managed to visit her before she graduated. And that was i think also the year she broke up with two/three-timing boyfriend who clearly did not deserve her. I still remember how disappointed she was when she found out how he had been cheating on her all the time she was in Michigan.

I don't think she reads my blog..but if she does, i just wanna say..

Hey Angela!

I really had fun during our freshmen year I wish I could play it all over again..Remember that song "Don't Speak" by Gwen Stefani? Yeah, I still have that photographic memory of you doing your own version of the videoclip. haha..

Congratulations on your wedding!

love,
Fara

2 Comments:

Blogger DebtSurvivor said...

"Dont Speak" huh? Lidia Hallena (remember her?) and I also have that song in our hearts during our Uni days. :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger fara-k said...

yeah i remember helena. that song was quite famous at that time wasn't it! hardly hear it anymore these days...

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home