Monday, November 28, 2005

Is it good??

When it comes to my cooking, my toughest critique would be my dear husband. He is the only person who can give me an honest opinion and tell me how good or bad my cooking is. Yesterday, i decided to make some laksa johor, a dish which i personally like. We were just coming back from an outing and it was already 2pm. Amin asked what are we having for lunch...and i said..hmm..i said i could cook when we get home...and he said he was hungry and wanted to eat something right away. but somehow we went back home anyway, since nazim was already asleep in the car and we didn't feel like bringing him out of the car and deal with all that hassle. so, i automatically said i'll make laksa johor! and since i don't normally make this dish, amin was a little surpised. (he's thinking...really??!)

so, as soon as we got home, i quickly started cooking. boiled my already thawed ikan tenggiri, boiled the spaghetti at the same time, and took care of the condiments while these two things were on the stove. When my fish was all boiled, i deboned it and put it in the blender and started to make the gravy. All in all, i managed to finish in record time of 50 minutes! not bad eh??

i had the table laid out nicely, and prepared a bowl for my hubby. and when he had his first spoon, my heart was beating so quickly and my eyes trying to understand his reaction. he didn't say anything...and of course, i had to ask..

me: ok tak?
hubby: hmmm (oh oh..a sigh is not a good sign..)...
he was checking out the gravy and stirring it with the ladle...
hubby: kenapa banyak clumps eh?
me: tu isi ikan laa...blended...(hello, it is supposed to be like that...)
hubby: tak cukup spice...
me: you mean takde rase langsung ke??
hubby: ada..but not enough..what did you put inside??
me: (heheheh...mcm la die expert)...the usual, onion, garlic, ginger, serai, kari powder, cili boh...
hubby: kari powder??!! aaaahh..maybe that one yang tak cukup..
me: really??? i put a lot already...tawar ke??
hubby: still not enough...maybe you're playing it safe...
me: i could repair it..(yeah, he's right...i was playing it safe..takut nak letak banyak2)
hubby: yeah, try frying the cili boh and the kari powder together and pour it in the gravy...

so later, i went back to the kitchen and repaired my gravy and kicked it up a notch with 2 more spoons full of cili boh and kari powder. and handed a spoon to him..

me: so how is it now?? nicer??
hubby: definitely better than before...
me: :) (smiling away)

as much as it may hurt sometimes, i still need to hear his opinion. but i've learned to take his comments professionally and not personally. he doesn't always critisize...at times when they're really good, he tells it to me..and of course, i would be flying on cloud nine..

6 Comments:

Blogger Leilanie said...

Fara,
our husbands' constructive criticisms are always the best!
When Fariz comments on my cooking (which is rare - because I selcom cook, anyway... haa haa) he does it with such grace that it's almost harmless (though, deep down I wished I got it right the 1st time).

I think, your hubby did it charmingly, too. You're a lucky princess.

8:52 AM  
Blogger fara-k said...

Leilanie,
yeah, i am thankful to have a husband who knows how to criticize gently and contructively..as opposed to one who would say "eeee..ape ni?? tak sedapnye"!!! memang nak kena pelangkung nanti!! hahahah..

11:48 AM  
Blogger DebtSurvivor said...

the "eee....ape nie??tak sedapnye" would be my hubby 2 months ago...now, he's more the "maybe you should add... (this and that)" so i guess even in marriages, people learn how to be 'diplomatic'..and Leilanie is right, you're a lucky princess... :) *now then...perhaps can you tell me how to make laksa johor?" hehe

4:54 PM  
Blogger fara-k said...

Evelyne,
yeah..marriage teaches us how to be patient with each other's "kerenah".

The recipe, easy..(although there are other more complicated ones)

1. boil the ikan tenggiri
2. drain the fish but don't throw the water coz you'll use it for the kuah later.
3. tumis your usual onion, garlic, ginger, serai and cili boh and kari powder (add more if you want it to be pedas)
4. add your blended fish to the tumisan
5. pour in the fish stalk (water from the fish you boiled with earlier)
6. and stir...and add some santan and salt to your liking.
There you go..your kuah is ready..

11:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

On a guys point of view, yeah, we sometimes we need to learn how to be diplomatic. I guess it comes with experience. And some handed down from advise of the elderly. Like my father always says, "Silence is golden"

2:24 PM  
Blogger Why not sure said...

Hi Fara,
I had my first cooking lesson from my wife last weekend :). I had a good experience doing it. Thanks to my better half's support in making me learn in a better way.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home